Thursday, October 14, 2010

Why did I open myself up to this?

Remember how I said I needed to make some changes in order to be where I know I need to be so that I can be happy with my life?  Remember that?  Well I was reading a blog today (surprise, surprise!) and it was about a woman in Haiti who is there with her family trying to help remedy the devastating orphan situation there.  This quote has changed my mind about my church, and when I read this I immediately thought of my church.  It is a beautiful church and the people there are so talented with all sorts of media and technology and lighting that this really hit home.

"While many American churches are worrying about the lighting on their stage, or fussing over the displays in their foyer, children are suffering in orphanages, groaning...aching...for someone to come redeem their lives."

Well shet.  I guess I'm going to have to rethink this again because that woman in Haiti is so. right.  I'm completely willing and ready to move beyond the pretty and visually satisfying church to a church that uses the offerings they receive towards giving and not beautifying.  Maybe I could find a church that is held outdoors and we'd all sit on the grass and not waste energy or expenses on things like chairs and roofs and lighting.  I know I feel closest to God when I'm outside anyway, so this kind of makes sense.  I don't know if there's anything like that in Austin, but I'm willing to bet that people would be on board.  Get a mic and an amp and we could preach God's word for an whole park of people if people were willing to gather.  Or don't get the mic or amp and use the voice God gave us to sing His word, praise Him, love Him selflessly and in turn selflessly give to those in need with the funds.

I think it's a good idea.  And my thoughts about adopting a child are starting to change to a genuine possibility.  I was unsure before reading this woman's take on orphans.  Of course I had heard horrible stories about the abuse orphans in places like Africa deal with on a daily basis, but it wasn't until realizing that there are so many.  Millions.  That don't get the proper nutrition at all.  Sometimes they don't eat.  Some, no, most have next to no medical care, and I am, in contrast, a very wealthy American.

Now, let's not kid ourselves.  I'm in no way wealthy by American standards.  I make less than $30K a year and I gots the debt.  But even so when the time comes for me to be a parent, adoption is a very, very real possibility for me.  In the meantime, I'd love to help at an orphanage to love on some kids that really need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment